Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Another GWE

Heavy morning rain then dry till an evening shower. Sunny spells. A light south(ish) breeze

Heysham Nature Reserve 

A small amount of post rain ringing indicated a few chiffchaffs had arrived with 6 ringed - Pete


South shore - Malcolm
I checked on the rising tide after the morning rain had stopped.
No Linnets seen or heard. This doesn't mean they weren't around, they were probably feeding on the saltmarsh somewhere 
The only birds along the foreshore were a Robin and a Wheatear
Shelduck 27 out from the saltmarsh.
These are the gulls resting on Red Nab. I was going to check them 
for Mediterranean gulls.....

.....then something lifted all the small gulls. There are at least 4 Mediterranean
gulls
in this shot, but you will have to open it to have a chance of spotting them.

I looked up and it was a Peregrine quite high and flying purposefully east
Adult Peregrine Falcon

Great White Egret 1 was resting by No.2 outfall. Likely grounded by the heavy rain.
This is a location shot


Great White Egret

This isn't long before it flew off it was looking in all directions 

Then it took flight to the north and I lost sight for a while behind No.2 outfall structure.
When I picked it up again it was past the wooden jetty and heading high to the NW

10 minutes later this one flew past low to the SE. Presumably the same
bird after resetting its bearings 

One of three Little Egret

A solitary Grey Heron flying east

Wigeon 3

Wigeon

In the Nature Park
Red Admiral 4
Speckled Wood 1
Common Darter 2

When Janet checked later there were three Wheatears feeding with the Pied Wagtails on Ocean Edge grass




No comments: