Sunday, 25 July 2010

They dont think its all over

Heysham Obs
.......referring to the Grasshopper Warbler breeding season.  There were FOUR singing males on Middleton NR this morning!  A short ringing session there was curtailed by gusty winds where, although the nets appeared to be alright for 60-70% of the time, the other 30% was unacceptable as regards the welfare of the birds.  So down came the nets after catching 5 new Sedge Warbler, 2 new Reed Warbler, one juv Reed Bunting, one juv Grasshopper Warbler, one juv Whitethroat and a Great Tit.  Other stuff:

Green Sandpiper - one Middleton appeared to land in the central marsh briefly before disappearing
Swift - 10 south
Arctic Tern - juvenile outfalls
Med Gull - adult in almost winter plumage Red Nab
Common Sandpiper - at least one Ocean Edge/Red Nab
Whimbrel - one Red Nab

Nothing of any great note but a further Dingy Footman