Friday, 11 September 2026

Another RVD and Hummingbird Hawk-moth

A dry day with hazy sunshine. A light west(ish) breeze

Middleton Nature Reserve - Peter and Rosemary Silvester
Red-Veined Darter seen on the main pond
Not a very obliging one, it could be an immature male or female

A fuller report of today's sightings to follow.

South shore Malcolm 09:00 - 10:15
Linnet 30+ feeding on the saltmarsh 
Meadow Pipit 4 grounded and squabbling along the foreshore 

Meadow Pipit

Rock Pipit 1 along foreshore, 3 on Red Nab and 1 along the sea wall

Rock Pipit

Wheatear 1 along the foreshore 
Wheatear

Shelduck 29 out from the saltmarsh 


Little Egret 5 between saltmarsh and No.2 outfall, I didn't go any further

Mediterranean gull 3 adults on Red Nab
This green Ringed Mediterranean gull is one of the regulars.
Ringed as a chick in Germany in 2012.

Two more Meds and a Black-Headed gull

Common Gull on Red Nab

There were plenty of gulls feeding on No.2 outfall, but all Black-Headed

The maintenance work was to erect the temporary bridge along the sea wall. This is for vehicle access when the outfalls are to be serviced. The bridge is fenced off, but there is access past it.

A Hummingbird Hawk-moth was in my back garden when I got home. But by the time I got my camera it had enough of my Busy Lizzies and I just managed a record shot before it moved on.
They move so quickly that the only bit in focus is its tongue! 

Tomorrow's weather is looking a bit grim

No comments: