Thursday, 3 September 2026

Shelducks suddenly appear

It remained reasonably dry after a morning shower, until steady rain started in the early evening. A SW wind

South shore - Malcolm 10:45 - 12:15
Linnet 40+ flew onto the saltmarsh 
Wheatear 1 on Ocean Edge grass
Wheatear
Pied Wagtail 3
Rock Pipit 4 (1 on foreshore 2 + 1 on Red Nab)
Rock Pipit

Little Egret 5 along the sea wall
Grey Heron 1 by No.2 outfall
It had clearly seen something between the rocks and remained stock still.
If I had taken a video, the only difference to this shot would be a couple of
loose feathers moving in the wind. Both the Heron and its prospective prey
 had more patience than me and I left them to it

Mediterranean gulls 12 - there were 10 feeding on the beach by the wooden jetty, 1 resting between the outfalls and a 1st calendar year on No.2 outfall 
1cy Mediterranean gull

There were two white ringed Mediterranean gulls on the feeding beach, both ringed in Holland and both regular visitors and already seen this year.
This one is a veteran, ringed in 2010

This one ringed in 2019

There were a lot more Sandmason worm tubes showing today and reaching close to the sea wall. The gulls clearly anticipate their availability. The worms have to partially leave their tube to mate, the gulls work their own patch and watch for one showing and try and grab it before it retreats to safety. No luck in this clip, but I did see some being caught. The white ringed bird in this clip is the one ringed in 2019.

A little Egret also fancied its chances. Unfortunately I am busy at low water
tomorrow, so I won't be able to check if numbers continue to increase 

From bottom to top: Lesser Black-Backed, Herring and Great Black-Backed gulls

1cy Herring gull

Cormorant doing its best Usain Bolt impersonation. Piel Castle in the background 

One of four young Redshank on Red Nab. They haven't learned to be wary of
humans yet. They will! But not today.

Whimbrel 2 at least, probably 4. 2 likely candidates flew off without calling.
Whimbrel 


Shelduck 30 - when I walked out there were none, but when I got back to Red Nab there were 26 drinking and freshening up in a freshwater runoff just beyond Red Nab and at least another 4 feeding further out.

Some of the Shelduck, first records this autumn.

In the Nature Park
Hummingbird Hawkmoth 1 zipped past me.
Red Admiral 1
Small White 6
Wood Pigeons, the one on the right with no white collar is a juvenile 


No comments: