Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Today's Tern not common

Heavy morning showers eased after lunch. A few sunny spells. A NW wind

Pete:
Juvenile Black tern seaward end heysham one 1037hrs then disappeared in visibility reducing shower - probably into rather than out of bay
Immature Shag conger rock area north of Heysham Head at low water

Heysham skear - Malcolm 09:15 - 10:45
Grey Heron 1
Little Egret 14
Little Egrets in the Honeycomb worm beds

I walked out with bright sunshine behind me, but very black clouds in front of me. It was obvious that I was in for a soaking, but at least I had a nice, albeit short, light show first.
Not only was there a secondary bow

But there were at least three rainbows overlaid in the primary bow

You can see two additional lines of violet below the first one

This was the last shot I took before stashing my camera away, just in time!

I continued my circuit the heavy rain didn't last too long but it never really stopped raining. I didn't see a great deal, I didn't even see the Shag!
Gulls c250 mainly Herring gulls
Eider c30 (Pete counted 1135 between Heysham and Bare)
Red-breasted Merganser 7
Great Crested Grebe 4

Oystercatcher c2000
Curlew 35
Redshank 40 most high up the shore
Knot 12
Turnstone 50
Ringed Plover 3

I hadn't seen or heard any geese till 10:25. There was still light rain, but between 10:25 and 10:45 there were 4 skeins of Pink-Footed geese south (only two actually seen 34 and 85 the others above the low cloud). Plus 4 Canada geese flying north

South shore this afternoon 
Pink-Footed goose c70 south - Kevin 

Malcolm 13:30 - 14:30
No terns on the outfalls
Grey Seal between the outfalls

Mediterranean gull 1 2nd calendar year on Red Nab
2cy Mediterranean gull (top)

Rock Pipit 2 on Red Nab 1 on the foreshore 
Rock Pipit
Wheatear 2 on Ocean grass
Also on Ocean Edge sign

Linnet c70. Not feeding on the saltmarsh today but on the grass
A backdrop of backlit white clouds makes for an interesting shot

They were feeding around the Sea Stork's-bill. Presumably collecting what
must be tiny seeds.


A large flock of small waders arrived from the south and settled along the waterline some distance out from the saltmarsh.
Grey Plovers and what looks to be mainly Knot

No time, or more honestly, no stamina left today. But I will check
tomorrow, weather permitting 

No comments: