A strong west wind with very heavy showers till mid morning. Then the wind shifted NW and the sun came out! Heavy showers again by evening.
South shore - Malcolm 09:30 - 11:15
I set off in heavy rain and wouldn't have believed that I would be walking back in bright sunshine!
![]() |
| Lesser Black-Backed, Great Black-Backed and Black-Headed gull in the lee of the foreshore |
![]() |
| Lesser Black-Backed (left) and Great Black Backed gulls |
Wigeon 42 flew from Red Nab, later there were 32 on the saltmarsh
![]() |
| Some of the Wigeon about to leave Red Nab |
![]() |
| Wigeon |
![]() |
| These two are later on the saltmarsh when the sun was out |
![]() |
| 1st calendar year Common Gull (top) and 1st calendar year Black-Headed Gull |
Mediterranean Gull 1 1st calendar year feeding on No.1 outfall
![]() |
| 1cy Mediterranean Gull, it has a very pale mask |
It wasn't easy standing still in the blustery wind, but it was relatively easy tracking the gulls, as although they were doing a lot of flying against the wind, they weren't actually moving very far! This is the Mediterranean Gull.
On the way back the tide was full and at 9.2m covered most of the saltmarsh. So I walked around the edge.
Common Snipe 10 lifted and left towards Middleton Nature Reserve. I expect more would have left before I arrived
Jack Snipe 3 lifted and resettled back in the marsh fringes. Good views, but too quick for me to get a shot today
Linnet 150
![]() |
| Linnet |
Greenfinch 8
Reed Bunting 3
![]() |
| There have been Harlequin Ladybirds along this fence leading to Ocean Edge all summer. You can see there are still several on every post |
![]() |
| Harlequin Ladybirds |











No comments:
Post a Comment